Field Search is a suite of software products developed by the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center (NLECTC). Field Search was designed specifically for use in the field by non-technical criminal justice personnel to allow them to quickly and efficiently search a target computer and create a detailed report of findings. Access to FieldSearch is strictly for law enforcement and corrections professionals. Field Search for Windows® (FS-Win) runs live in a native Windows environment. Similarly, Field Search for Macintosh (FS-Mac) runs live in the native Mac OS X® environment. This approach provides a fast, powerful, yet easy method of examining and monitoring computer use. In essence, Field Search blends preview functions with evidence gathering and reporting functions.
Originally designed to assist probation and parole officers in sex offender management, the Field Search suite is equally effective in first responder situations or in examining computers for evidence of other crimes.
Field Search quickly finds evidence such as Internet histories, images, multimedia files and results from text searches and easily populates a report of the findings. Click here to learn more about Field Search’s features and to view sample screenshots:
How to Get Your Copy of Field Search
- FS Win, Version 5.0: Released January, 2016
FS-Win 5.0 provides users with the following new capabilities:
Key New Features
- Fully compatible with Windows 8 and 10. Field Search now handles the new versions of Internet Explorer and Edge browsers.
- Keyword search now handles the full UTF-8 character set. This means you can enter and search for any word or phrase in any language.
- In addition to user-defined filters for minimum and maximum file sizes, pictures in the Image Gallery can now be sorted by file size or MAC dates.
- The registry tool can now load registry hives “off line.” This allows Field Search to scan the registry hives of volumes attached to the host machine (either live or behind write-blockers).
- New chat history tools allow the examination of chat activity for Skype, Windows Live, ICQ, and Yahoo Messenger.
- New HASH search function provides the ability to scan the drive for “hits” against HASH sets.
- Improved reporting function. Reports are now rendered faster and are more easily exported into PDF format.
- Improved Media viewing; faster rendering, improved frame capture.
- FS Mac: Released April 2012
There is no charge for the software. If you are currently a law enforcement or corrections employee and would like to have access to FieldSearch, manuals and the training video, please click here: https://www.justnet.org/app/fieldsearch/request.aspx.
NLECTC has established a group of Certified Field Search Instructors (CFSIs) to deliver training on this software tool. These instructors have been trained and certified by NLECTC and the developers of Field Search, and are available to agencies in need of training. For more information, please contact the instructors directly. Click here for the current listing of CFSIs.
Become a Certified Field Search Instructor
Agencies interested in developing their own in-house training capability may be interested in sending staff to be trained as a CFSI. For more information on this opportunity, please click here.
NLECTC has developed a training video to provide basic instruction on the use of Field Search. If you are a registered user, please go to the download page to view the video: https://www.justnet.org/app/fieldsearch/login.aspx.
If you are not a registered user, you must first request access to the Field Search software. Once you are approved, you can then choose to view the video from the download page.
Articles About Field Search and Offender Computer Monitoring
Field Search Success Stories
Forget Your Password?
Contact NLECTC-National staff at email@example.com.